Re: Front Wheel Bearings... Explanation.

To: byers@cconnect.net
Subject: Re: Front Wheel Bearings... Explanation.
From: Michael D Myers <mdmyers_ct@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 22:39:28 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
The spacer is definitely needed for the angular contact ball bearings.
The tapered roller bearings will provide a higher capacity in the same
space, but I don't think you will find a direct replacement easily. The
cup (outer race) of the tapered bearing will need to be pressed into an
accurately machined hub bore with both ends concentric and the cones
(inner race and rollers) need a slip fit on the spindle with only a few
thousandths of an inch clearance. In general , the outer bearing near the
locknut is smaller in a taper set up because it doesn't take as much of
the load.

IMHO, I'm not sure the change over would be worth the trouble unless I
were having severe problems with the ball bearing set up.

Mike Myers