Re: CFR engine

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: CFR engine
From: Jason Urban <jurban@p3.net>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 09:39:32 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Modern knock sensors can cause performance problems on the modern cars.
For example, on my LT1(how 'bout shoehorning one into a Sprite!) in the Z,
there is a single knock sensor on the block.  If the computer senses a
knock, timing is retarded.  But for some reason, at certain engine speeds,
there is a slight dip in power.  As engine and exhaust mods increase(such
as changing rockers and adding headers and bigger exhausts), the amount of
noise around the sensor increases.  Luckily this is an easy problem to
solve.  The easiest method is to disconnect the sensor, but can lead to
engine damage if there really is knock.  Another method is to use a
resistor divider on the sensor to desensitize.  The best and still-easy
method which I'm trying now is to pull the computer out, open the little
hatch, and replace the knock filter module with one from an LT4(which has
engine mods straight from GM).  For such a cheap part, there is a real SOTP
performance upgrade.

Once you get to know the modern cars, the sensors can be worked for each
application and in most cases actually make sense.  Now if only we could
easily get into the computer and reprogram it ourselves without using a
vendors computer!!

Onto LBC content - has anyone actually added any computer control to the
Spridget for engine management??  I guess they are so simple it's not
needed, but could any power output be gained by doing this??  A few sensors
from GM, a microcontroller and software compiler, and some free time......

Jason.

|  Jason Urban - APOGEE LABS  215-699-2060    |
|     CA Studio   web.p3.net/~jurban          |
|  '95 Z/28 6spd    '65 Austin-Healey Sprite  |
|  '96 Land Rover Discovery                   |