Re: Help identify this Midget

To: Scott Kilborn <scottk@pcpartner.net>, "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Help identify this Midget
From: Gerard Chateauvieux <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 18:00:05 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Scott,

>From the production numbers I have for Midgets, GAN3L/48047 would be an
early '66 model. Only 6842 66's were made and your number is within
approximately 4000 of the last GAN3 (52389) . I don't think the 1275 was
used until late '66 (GAN4) so it is most likely it had an 1100 in it
originally. If you intend to restore it to original and want to know
positively, order a BMIHT certificate. It will run you about the same price
as you paid for the car, but they are nice to have if you don't have much
history on the car.

One of my Bugeyes was registered as a '59 when I boiught it, (chassis
number plate was missing), but found out from the certificate that it
wasn't manufactured until June 1960.

Gerard

At 6:55 PM -0500 5/24/99, Scott Kilborn wrote:
>I just picked up a Midget body shell for the wonderful sum of $40.  It
>has no engine, transmission, seats, windshield, or much of any of the
>chrome trim.  However, it has been stored inside and the pan is in
>excellent shape (slight surface rust only).  I would like to find an
>origional engine for it, but am having some trouble identifying it.  The
>frame SN is GAN3L/48047 which is right between the MKII and MKIII
>designations in the Moss Motors catalog.  Would a 1098 engine be the
>correct one for this car?
>
>Also, the left rear wheel is locked up from sitting so long.  I have
>removed the e-brake attachment from that wheel, and attempted to pull
>off the brake drum.  The right one comes off easily, but the left
>doesn't, which makes me think the brake is stuck 'on'.  Any
>hints/suggestions for breaking it free?
>
>Thanks much,
>Scott Kilborn
>Gilman, IA