Re: Mostly alive Midget

To: Swift Justice <samesq@pacbell.net>, Nory P <nory_midget@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Mostly alive Midget
From: "Peter C." <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 09:03:04 -0500
Cc: "spridgets@Autox.Team.Net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Nory and Steve, et. al.
        Again, without benefit of a wiring diagram or electrical degree, here is
my understanding. In a properly operating system, when you first turn the
key to ON (before starting) power is supplied to all those dash warning
lights including the charge light. This is like a bulb check to assure you
the lights do indeed work. The source of this voltage is from the battery
through the ignition switch to the alternator diode(s) which complete the
circuit. When the car is started and the alternator produces enough voltage
it feeds backwards into the warning light circuit thus breaking the circuit
that was complete before and shutting off the lights. If the lights are on
without the switch being on at all, then voltage is "leaking" through the
diodes at the alternator and feeding backwards.
        Maybe this wil help:
key OFF
        batt-->alt->|  bulb off X switch<--batt
key ON only
        batt-->alt->|<<<-bulb on<--- switch on <--batt
key RUN
        batt<-->alt--><---bulb OFF<---switch on <-- batt
Key OFF with bad diode
        batt-->alt--->---> bulb ON---->X switch off <--batt

        Hope this makes sense, kinda does to me.
Peter C