Re: Gas tank pickup tube

To: wmgilroy@lucent.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gas tank pickup tube
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 17:04:13 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
wmgilroy@lucent.com writes:

<< I asked a local MG guy what he
 would do and he suggested I buy the tank without the vapor recovery and
 drill a hole for the fitting and then silver solder on the correct fitting.
 This is what I am going to do, unless anyone has a better suggestion.
 I figure my MAPP gas torch should be hot enough. >>

Just a word of warning.  If this is a used gas tank, make sure you fill it
completely with water before getting any heat near it.  Fill it, drain it,
fill it again, drain it, and keep doing that until you know you won't be
blown across the garage.  I think there is a chemical that you can use to
neutralize the volatile fumes, but I don't know what it is.

Less important (obviously) if it's a new tank.

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport