A little more progress...

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: A little more progress...
From: "J. Adrian Barnes" <adrian@icx.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 22:01:53 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
This email covers a lot, sorry in advance!

Thanks for everybody's help about the Weber air filter.  For
some reason, it didn't occur to me that the round filter
could be replaced by the rectangular filter from my new
carb.  Duh.  I unwrapped the new filter and discovered a
neat little plastic tube that hooks into the hose coming
from the valve cover.  So THAT'S what I've been missing.  I
had wondered (quietly, to myself) why the tube just sort of
came up to the hole on the filter plate...  I mounted the
filter and hooked the hose to the tube and mounted it to the
filter as well.  The car actually seems to be running 200%
better now.  Go figure.  I didn't oil it, not quite sure I
understand that concept.  Better go read the manual, huh?
I'll know more next time I drive it.

Hooked up my spare temperature gauge (the gauge in the car
isn't working) and found the temperature to be firmly
planted a few clicks below the N.  Great!  Before starting
the car, I finally put a thermostat back in.  Found that the
water was extremely low.  No water in the oil.  Where'd the
water go?  So I filled it back up and started the car.  Ran
it for a little and walked around the car to find out where
all the water was going.  The hose had popped free of the
overflow container (the plastic one in the fender) and was
spraying out.  At least I know my water pump works...  Had
to grab my spare overflow tank.  Problem solv-ed (as spoken
by Inspector Clousseau (sp?)).  Oil pressure was a constant
60-ish.

I also _think_ I may have identified where the oil leak is
coming from.  The side of the engine below the fuel pump is
very wet with oil.  I'm going to buy an electric fuel pump
this week anyway, so I'll just plug that or something.  Is
it okay to run the mechanical fuel pump if I bypass it?  Or
do I need to remove it and use a blanking plate.  Good news
is that I may not have a leaky rear main seal.

Anyway, it purrs now...too bad it still smokes.  Otherwise,
all I need now are tires and to hook up the speedometer.

adrian,
'75 midget that runs well but smokes too much
'75 in the garage getting jealous
'98 black cat who thinks she owns the garage

--

J. Adrian Barnes

http://www.midgetweb.com