Re: Drilled rotors

To: gottstein@erols.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Drilled rotors
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 14:08:34 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 8/23/99 11:43:26 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
gottstein@erols.com writes:

<<    Apparently I need to get new front rotors for my Midget, so I was
 wondering, is it worthwhile to get those "performance" drilled rotors, or
 will I be fine with the regular replacement kind?  Anything to stop the
 little guy faster would be welcomed. >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The reason for cross drilling brake rotors is to vent hot air away from the
pads, thereby reducing fade.  This is really only necessary when you are
driving in competition.  On the road your pads will have plenty of time to
cool between braking.

If you have experienced a lot of brake fade in whatever type of driving you
do, go for the drilled rotors.  If you haven't, stay with the less expensive
solids.  Theoretically, a solid rotor has more surface area than a cross
drilled rotor, so it should stop the car faster, until the pads overheat.
(IMHO of course.)

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport