Re: Battery indicator warning

To: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Battery indicator warning
From: "David Riker" <davidr@sunset.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 08:04:22 -0800
Cc: "Spridget Mail List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Charles
It is very common for the ignition warning light to flicker dimly at idle if
an accessory is used.  Although some on the list would disagree, I have
never had good luck with Lucas alternators.  The local parts house I deal
with supplies genuine Lucas rebuilds, yet it seemed that one out of two was
faulty right out of the box.  It got so I made them bench test them before I
would leave the store.  After four alternators in six years, I now sport a
GM Alternator on the 74, and the 78 I just bought has a Mitsubishi unit on
it.

The Lucas unit is internally regulated, and the ignition light flickers
because the belt is loose, or a diode is going bad.

David Riker
74 Midget
78 Midget
63 Falcon