new boy

To: "'Spridgets'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: new boy
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 06:50:46 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
Hi,

I'm new to the list\spridgets so here goes.....

I have just bought a 1971 Austin Sprite and I am just about getting to grips
with my first classic (though I had a VW beetle for my first car some years
ago). The car appears to have been a daily driver until fairly recently,
with the history showing an average of 10K a year with the bills to back
this up. It seems to be in good mechanical condition, and as far as I can
tell the body is good too with new sills and no rust evident in the panels.

I have been trying to fix up some heat in the car , as it is freezing cold
here in the UK in January. I have a pull switch on the dash which appears to
block off the air supply (I assume for when I'm in traffic) but I can't find
how to turn on the blower. I can't twist the switch and there are no other
apparent switches or wiring at the back of the dash which are applicable.
Help!

Also, I have removed and tested the blower unit and that seems OK when I
power it up, but I notice that there is a water drip from the bottom of the
heater unit when I open the heat tap to it ( I assume thats why the heater
hasn't been used). I have closed heat tap back down. This leads to my second
question: do I drain the cooling system to remove the heater unit. Are
replacements available or are these repairable?

Thanks in advance

John