Re: brake fluid change

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: brake fluid change
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 01:30:50 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
I am new to this list and have not posted before but felt I should add an
opinion on this subject.

Rubbing alcohol definitely is a bad idea.  Most rubbing alcohol is 25 % to
30% water plus it may contain oils.  Denatured alcohol would be a good
choice for cleaning brake system parts during servicing but will be almost
impossible to remove from an assembled system.  At the very least you will
probably have dramatically altered the boiling point of the system fluid.  I
believe the proper choice is to bled the old fluid while replacing with
fresh brake fluid thus removing any contaminates (absorbed water most
likely).  Any other method seems foolhardy to me.

Miles Grogg

milesgrogg@wwnet.net