Re: brake fluid change

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: brake fluid change
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 13:11:18 EST
Jay,

We have use alcohol to clean our brake components for years.  We have always
disassembled the brake system for cleaning, but do not see any reason you
could not flush a system.   It should be "dryed" after flushing.  This is
most easily done by flushing with brake fluid.  Alcohol is the one solvent
that can be used to clean brake systems.  The lower the water content the
better.  Also you do not want any alcohol that has additives.  200 proof
ethanol would be best but the price is prohibitive, unless you work in a
scientific lab.  Isopropyl or methanol are probably the next best choices.
All of the brake cylinders that I am familiar with are castings which by
their nature are porous. That is one of the reasons to use alcohol because it
evaporates rapidly.  It is easier to "dry" components than it is to "dry" a
assembled system but it is not unreasonable. Also any other type of solvent
will leave behind some sort of residue which you do not want in your brake
system.  Another reason for the higher purity alcohols.

Our 2 cents

Bob and Annice
1960 Sprite (Mk IV indiguise)
1966(7) Sprite Mk III (in progress)