Re: Gunson's Colortune

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gunson's Colortune
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 04:01:55 EST
In a message dated 2/23/00 1:12:46 PM, dougi@home.com writes:

<< I'm thinking of buying a Gunson's Colortune to improve my minimal ability
properly tune my carbs. Any comments regarding this device would be
appreciated. >>

Looks like we are going to be the odd ones.  For SU carbs I found it very
useful in getting the mixtures to a very good general setting.  Then you can
do the half flat, one flat fine tuning of the jets.   For reasons unknown,
the last time I rebuilt the SU's the car just would not run right.  Drove me
crazy for some time then a club member loaned me a color tune.  Checked
number one and four cylinders and the mixtures were way off despite all of
the classic SU settings indicating otherwise.  It is not the ultimate or
final tuning tool but it sure will let you know if your mixtures are way out.
 You do need to be able to discern subtle  differences in light shades of
blue.

Bob and Annice
1960 Sprite (Mk IV indiguise)
1966(7) Sprite Mk III (in progress)