'leading' bodywork

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: 'leading' bodywork
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 14:58:46 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
Now that my  car is coming close to finished as far as the interior and
under the hood, I'm looking at the metalwork and considering what to do.

Going over the car carefully, I've found several small Bondo repairs from
past years.  All fairly small and shallow, none over 1/8 in. deep.  Before I
begin stripping the old paint, I'd like to bone up on the best way to
'perfect' the metal work.  Is there a good source of info for do-it-yourself
'leading'?  The old Sprite shop manual gives rather detailed instructions
for the use of 'tinman's solder' but is rather sketchy as to how you do the
smoothing.

Is lead still the best bet for a repair that won't ever shrink, crack, or do
anything else that will piss me off after I paint it?  If so, what is
'tinman's solder' in U.S. English?

                                    Thanks, Glen Byrns