Re: i am learning but have some more questions

To: midgetman@ix.netcom.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: i am learning but have some more questions
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 12:50:59 EST
In a message dated 03/27/2000 8:19:56 AM Pacific Standard Time,
midgetman@ix.netcom.com writes:

<< question. what can i buy for $1000? will it run? how good will it run?
should i think about a sprite or stick with my first idea midgets? what about
the engines? some make jokes about the engine called 1500. my wife saw the
pictures in whoreler that have the safety bumpers and she doesnt like them
but she wants safety. what do i do? what about rollbars? does !
 !
 !
 anyone have airbags? can they be ordered from moss? i know this is many
questiuons but i need answers. rex >>
Sorry, got distracted with work and accidently sent the last message w/o
finishing.

As I was saying, don't expect much for $1000.00, but don't settle for too
little either.  Depending on where you are , how good you negotioate, and how
long you are willing to shop, you can buy a very good project for this amount.

I paid $1,300.00 a couple of years ago for a running 74 Midget.  I could
drive it immediately and all I've done to it so far is replace the top, fuel
pump, oil, points and plugs.

It still is'nt tuned correctly, and I just had to  put a battery in it, but
it's a blast to drive.  I don't have the time/money to put into it right  now
to make it a daily driver..but it's a fun toy.

You don't say how old you are, but most of us grew up in cars with no
airbags.  Obviously, if you are involved in a major accident with a much
larger vehicle, you are in trouble in a Spridget, no one should argue that.
But, if you drive very sensibly, and defensively, you can have a lot of fun.
Think of it as a motorcycle with top and trunk.

A roll bar looks good in my opinion and someday I hope to get one, but the
likelyhood of flipping a Spridget is less than with most SUVs.

This is a hobby and a man (and his wife) should never confuse their toys with
their transportation.

If you want all the modern conveniences and safety items, buy a modern
car..(Miata, Z-3, etc) but expect to pay more, and not have as much nastalgic
fun.

Of couse, if you are yound, nastalgia is re-runs of Bevis and Butthead (no
offense Ed).

RH