Re: 948 exhaust manifold

To: pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com
Subject: Re: 948 exhaust manifold
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 10:58:35 EST
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi Gerard,

This is a problem area on the Morris also.  The leak is usually from a
misaligned exhaust pipe to flange or using a clamp dry.  When this is
done, it puts a couple of puckers on opposite sides of the exhaust pipe,
then it's really hard to get rid of them.  I have a short repair piece to
weld on the exhaust pipe. $6.95. (948 size only.)

My solution is to get the alignment as close as possible and then oil all
sides of the mating surfaces of the pipe, flange and clamp.  Motor oil is
fine.  Then when you tighten the clamp, it will slip on the pipe so it
doesn't make those dreaded little puckers on the pipe!  ALWAYS oil this
setup when replacing the clamp.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Paul

PAsgeirsson@juno.com