nib / nos

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: nib / nos
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 23:31:55 -0000charset="iso-8859-1"
do not forget the other designation not frequently found   NOSR  .  refering
to original vintage replacement aftermarket parts.  i run into these items
also.  sometimes confused as nos.  it pays to know the original
manufacturers of components of your car (bushings, switches,etc.).   there
are some parts used by other manufacturers that are similar to lbc stuff and
would interchange but part numbers do not indicate interchangability.
like my 1960 saab uses mk1 mini front wheel cylinders up front and
sprite(later dual piston type) rear wheel cylinders.  found that
saab(although under a saab part number) uses metalastic front suspension
bushings same as a sprite for controll arm bushings( 1 set is MGB for upper
and other is sprite for lower).  sometimes it pays to shop around other
manufacturer's (of the period of your car) cars to see what they were using
when you get into a, i can not find it or afford it from m--s situation.
i realise this is of little lbc content.  but, some prudent shopping around
has saved me a bunch of financial agrivation in the search for parts for my
vintage saab project that i had been told "you will have to have it custom
made or (hydraulic) you must have it bored out and sleeved to save it.  the
cost of 2 new lockheed (in the box) wheel cylinders for a sprite was half
what the saab crowd wanted for 1 for my car.

chuck.
i may have to erect a sign by my big rock" home of the bargan"....  lol!