Re: nib / nos

To: David Riker <davidr@sunset.net>
Subject: Re: nib / nos
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 10:47:37 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
David Riker wrote:

> NOS is mostly crap.  If it is 40 years old, it is still decayed, whether or
> not it has been in a dusty box or bolted to a car.

This is true to some degree. Yes on cloth, vinyl and rubber. 40 year old
rubber is 40 years old! And a NOS top or tonneau is sure to be a bit
short.
But having the lenses fall out on the garage floor of a parked bugeye
with *new* repro rubbers after a month or two says something about the
quality of new parts today. New chrome or vs NOS, My 40 year old NOS
chrome center bumper blade on the A40 looks much better then the 3 year
old replating job. When the 2 side ears were bolted to the nos center,
all 3 looked stunning, now the chrome has aged a few years and the new
looks it but the center bar is still stunning.
I would not install a NOS brake hydraulic cylinder without first
installing a new kit in it, but to have a *new* or rebuilt store bought
master cylinder fail within a year has something to say for *new*.
I try my best to buy OEM (newly made from original manufacturer) or NOS
or I make it myself just so I don't have to yell and scream because a
cheap repro failed before the credit card bill comes due.

So I'll take that NOS Lucas headlight rim over the moss repro anyday.
And I will gladly pay $30 for it because it will last 10-15 years rather
then the repro $15 rim that might last 1 year. Believe me, I have been
there!

Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ
If you are not living on the edge,