Re: nib / nos

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: nib / nos
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 22:12:10 -0700
NOS is mostly crap.  If it is 40 years old, it is still decayed, whether or
not it has been in a dusty box or bolted to a car.  40 years ago, parts
weren't sealed in air tight bags.  The metal will have surface rust, and
storage damage will most likely have occurred.  The plastic is brittle,
fabric items are hard or shrunk.  However, quality reproduction items often
include engineering improvements not available 40 years ago.  I've spent big
bucks on some piddly little items that were truly NOS.  In months, not
years, they are just as faded, cracked, misfitting etc. as the stuff I
replaced.  Given the choice, I'll go with reproduction items anyday.
David Riker
74 Midget
78 Midget
63 Falcon