Re: Bugeye Engine Rebuild

To: Jeff24fan@aol.com, GreenBugeye@aol.com, racerbob@hotmail.com, davriker@pacbell.net, mgraziano@mindspring.com
Subject: Re: Bugeye Engine Rebuild
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 21:45:21 EST
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 12/21/2000 12:51:00 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Jeff24fan@aol.com writes:

<< My question to
 all of you is, any ideas what an engine rebuild for a 948cc should run? I
got
 a quote for $5000 and nearly had a heart attack. >>

I think I would have a heart attack too if someone quoted me that price.
Seems awfully high to me.  But are you at all mechanically inclined?  Is
there a British Car Club close to you?  If the answer to both of these
questions is "yes" or "somewhat" or something inthe affirmative, you might
consider doing the rebuild yourself.  With adequate shop manuals (Haynes,
Bentley), a knowledgeable car guy or gal (maybe in the Club), this list, and
an honest machine shop to do the things that need the expertise and tools you
may not have, you can probably do it yourself.  I used the Haynes manual
which gave me a great step by step to an overhaul--I understand the Bentley
is good too, although I have never used it.  The engines are really simple
once you get into them.  Consider it anyway.

Another consideration that occured to me just after I wrote the above reply:
Why are you rebuilding the engine?  Have you been able to check the
compression?  Could be all you need, if that, would be refreshing the engine
by adding lower bearings, after checking out the clearances with plastiguage,
and some other various and sundry attention, like carb rebuilds or such.  Or
is the engine frozen?  Lots to consider before starting a total engine
rebuild, unless you just want the peace of mind that comes with knowing you
are moving about with a relatively new engine.

--David C.