Re: Interesting item on eBay web site item#593049744: MG : Midget

To: type79@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: Interesting item on eBay web site item#593049744: MG : Midget
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 13:19:56 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
type79@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> Jaime,
> Here is a Texas car described as rust-free. This would be a good start for
>you.

We added a '69 Sprite to the group last week. While at the gas station (where I
heard about the cross flow head, nothing more since) getting a D.P. a guy came
up and asked if we wanted to buy his car. He claims that he knows they are not
worth much and that he would sell it cheap. "How cheap" I ask?? "Come by, look
and make me an offer" he says. We make arrangements to look the next day, as we
were off to take 'B' pictures for E (he's real busy and couldn't leave so  we
haven't got them yet ma'am). Last Tuesday, we go out and find a sanded to
metal, rusty car...................... with several surprises in store. New
hood (top), new bonnet (hood), new lever shocks all around, new rear springs,
original steering wheel in excellent shape, Weber DGV carb, air cleaner and
Pierce manifold and a header of unknown origin. The car starts up instantly and
idles great. We have not yet tried to drive it as we are dubious about the
hydraulics, but the lines from the clutch master, as well as the clutch master
look new and unrusted. The price he asked was less than the cost of two of the
shocks, so we took it home. Mike (he is now a Spridget owner, E!!) started to
grind out the bondo and didn't find much metal. This Monday takes me out to the
$50 Midget I had put off getting. NO RUST ANYWHERE!!!  Not in the A pillars,
sills, lower door hinges or in any of the wings, a dented front valance is the
only damage it has. It should make a great recipient for the parts we got on
the first car. So many Spridgets, so few homes for
FWIW, I have been to Sportscar Part Warehouse, where the ebay car is at and
Byron is a good guy, from what dealings I have had with them. If anyone needs
another opinion on the car, I could go up Saturday afternoon and check it out.
Brad