Re: Alloy Knock-offs?

To: <WEricars@aol.com>, <rbhouston@aol.com>, <clabaw@jpl.nasa.gov>, <derfman@eatel.net>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Alloy Knock-offs?
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 14:54:09 -0400
Cc: "Robert E. Shlafer" <PilotRob@webtv.net>
The standard wheels on a Spridget are 4 inch ones. I had one hell of a time
trying to find anything wider and ended up with 4.5 wires from Dayton. Moss
and VB both list wheels and they are 4 inches. Oops maybe that is just for
wire type wheels.

All of your arguments make some sense, however TireRack told me this should
work but I should expect an unusual amount of center tread wear. They are
Michelin X-One's.
I have driven 175/70's for years and never had a problem. The last set dry
rotted prior to wearing out. Something about sitting for 6 years I suppose.

PS Capt Bob - 70 series tires here)

At this exact moment in time 7/10/01 10:09 AM, "WEricars@aol.com"
<WEricars@aol.com> made the profound statement:

> Sorry for not being specific.  Direct Tire in Massachusetts, and the national
> chains the Tire Rack, Discount Tires and NTB advise that a 145 or 155 tire
> should be used with a 4 inch wide wheel.  Direct Tire warns not to exceed a
> 165 on a 4 inch.  175s are fine on 5 inch rims, but they will typically
> interfere with the body work which is also dangerous.
>
> In SCCA racing (solo and road racing) I have seen 175 and 185 tires on 3.5 and
> 4 inch rims slice, deflate, disintegrate and roll over.  I have also seen
> accelerated, uneven wear across the tread.  I do not believe the 3.5 is
> allowed in road racing any longer, but I may be wrong. Based on my own
> observations and the advice of the various retailers, I would not put a 175 on
> a 4 inch rim.
>
> Naturally, if your manufacturer says it works and stands behind it, then go
> with it.  Who is the manufacturer?  I have not seen any 4 inch steel or alloy
> wheels currently advertised for the sprites, and I would be interested in
> learning about them.  Of course you may be talking about wire wheels which
> came in 4 inch width from the factory and are still available.  Wires are not
> allowed in road racing, except in some vintage classes.  If you have wires, I
> am surprised the manufacturer said 175 was ok.  They certainly weren't
> approved when the cars were new.  Please write back as I am considering 5 inch
> alloys for my bugeye so I can move up to 165 or 175s.
>
> Regards,
> Bill

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bbl.med.upenn.edu
System Administrator/Manager
Neuropsychiatry Section
Department of Psychiatry
University of Pennsylvania
3400 Spruce St. - 1015 Gates
Philadelphia, PA 19104

"Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
 --Mark Twain