Re: Remember Blue smoke?

To: "John Holliday" <fprodget@yahoo.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Remember Blue smoke?
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 21:45:59 +0100
John, (and others)
I know about the normal way of calculating compression ratios, and I
know it takes a fair bit of carefull measurements to get anything like
a corect measurement as I have done it that way in the past
That is exactly why I asked if using a measured compression test could
be used to give a compression ratio.

Think about it this way: piston at bottom of stroke, valves open and
cylinder full of air which connects to outside through open carb
venturi, so it is at 14.5 lbs per sq inch pressure (at sea level)

Piston rises up the bore and produces a pressure (as read on the
compression guage) of 200 lbs per square inch, so Ratio is 200 to 14.5
= 13.8 to 1

Seems high.  The question was could this produce the blue smoke
problem that I am experiencing on a rebored engine (+ 30 thou) new
pistons etc and 3000 miles use.

Guy