loose but new bearings BUMMER!

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: loose but new bearings BUMMER!
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 20:43:32 -0400
So, I have successfully converted from wire wheels to steel wheels.
Nearly all new suspension parts (thanks Peter) and the car handled
like a dream for one week.

BUT, I noticed a little looseness tonight and viola! the bearings are
loose. These guys are brand spanking new. So, I have a couple of
questions.

1. Though I torqued the castellated axle nut correctly, is this
something to check again, or would it even have any effect?

2. Can I use the bearings from my old wire wheel hubs, or are the
bearings different for steel vs wire wheels? The old ones at least
were not wobbly.

3. Has anyone had problems with bearings with plastic races? If so,
does anyone have a good source for great, no BS, will-work bearings?
-- 'Cause my wife is getting PISSED OFF at this car, and that is a
bad, bad, thing...

BTW, offset bushings for the upper trunnion really improve handling.
The harder I turn, the deeper it digs.

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Assistant Professor, Emory Eye Center, Atlanta, GA
Senior Editor, Molecular Vision
<http://www.molvis.org/molvis>
<mailto: jboatri@emory.edu>