Re: loose but new bearings BUMMER!

To: "Jeffrey H. Boatright" <jboatri@emory.edu>
Subject: Re: loose but new bearings BUMMER!
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 21:10:16 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
"Jeffrey H. Boatright" wrote:

> 1. Though I torqued the castellated axle nut correctly, is this
> something to check again, or would it even have any effect?

With all new stuff, it sure can't hurt to retighten the bearing nuts.

> 2. Can I use the bearings from my old wire wheel hubs, or are the
> bearings different for steel vs wire wheels? The old ones at least
> were not wobbly.

Same bearings on wire or steel wheel cars. Same from 58 thru 79.

> 3. Has anyone had problems with bearings with plastic races?

I never used them on a Sprite but I used to eat em up on the Mini.
There are a few on this list that will tell you plastic is far superior then
antiquated steel. I am an antique. My kids have plastic *stuff* and plastic
cars, they are still young and don't know any better.
(the mini was my son's first car)

Are you sure the bearings are installed correctly?
Thrust sides facing each other (both thrust sides point towards the spacer)
The writting on the bearings is the thrust side.
--

Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ