Re: Old Movies - Some LBC

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Old Movies - Some LBC
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 13:59:33 -0400
If memory serves, the Riverside connection is that they recorded the
sounds of the cars there. Ritchie Ginther and another driver (Hill?
Barbour? Bonderant?) drove various cars. The director said that they
were so good that they could remember all the shift points for the
various tracks (Spa, Monte, etc) and simply went around Riverside
making those shifts, braking, accelerating, etc. and then the sounds
were all matched with the film scenes.

At 1:36 PM -0400 10/17/01, Ankitterer@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 10/16/01 10:09:41 PM, kgb@clipper.net writes:
>
><< "Grand Prix", starring James Garner. The original advertising billed it
>as "100% European Grand Prix Footage". The racing scenes consisted
>primarily of Formula Junior races from Riverside, CA. It is being shown
>this month on one of the cable channels. Watch it for a good laugh.
>Kate >>
>Kate
>
>Oh my yes.  A hunky James Garner and Jessica Walter before "Play Misty for
>Me".  Yves Montand and Eva Marie Sainte too.  Didn't they follow the Grand
>Prix circuit for a season.  Seems I recognized some of the footage done at
>Monte Carlo.  I think you may be mistaken on this one--Riverside was too
>barren to use as pretend European Grand Prix tracks--a real dust bowl.
>(Don't ask how I know!!!)  The movie did come out with a real bunch of hype,
>however, and it has been a while since  I've seen it.  Love the soundtrack
>though.  Plot is pretty trite, as I recall. We'll  have to catch it.
>
>Annice & Bob
>1960 Bugeye (Mk. IV in disguise)
>1966 Sprite Mk. III (Still in Boxes)

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Assistant Professor, Emory Eye Center, Atlanta, GA, USA
Senior Editor, Molecular Vision, http://www.molvis.org/molvis
mailto:jboatri@emory.edu