Re: URGENT FEDERAL SCRAPPAGE ALERT

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: URGENT FEDERAL SCRAPPAGE ALERT
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2002 18:08:47 -0800
I just read the bill.  It says nothing of crushing the cars.  It clearly
states, "... requires that all passenger automobiles and light-duty trucks
turned in be scrapped... provides an appropriate payment to the person
recycling the scrapped passenger automobile or light-duty truck for each
turned-in passenger automobile or light-duty truck..."  So the person
turning the car in gets a check, and so does the recycler.
Recycling by definition would allow the sale of parts of the car.  More cars
being recycled lowers the price of used parts because of increased supply.
Properly handled, this bill could be the new backbone of the classic car
hobby, not the death of it.  Imagine, owners of non-collectable siblings to
their collectable counterparts having an incentive to turn the car over to a
recycler who could sell the parts to hobbyists.  If that wasn't clear let me
state an example.  State pays Joe to scrap his worthless Ford Granada.  It
goes to a recycler who sells me the front disc brake parts to install on my
Falcon!
So long as scrap and recycle are in the wording and "crush" is not, there is
no law requiring the cars to be crushed, they just can't be returned to
service.

David Riker
74 Midget
63 Falcon