LBC economy, WAS: URGENT FEDERAL SCRAPPAGE ALERT

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: LBC economy, WAS: URGENT FEDERAL SCRAPPAGE ALERT
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 09:55:50 -0500
Paul,

I've marveled at this myself. In the past, I have tuned the Sprite to
run at 35 mpg on the highway easily. I didn't do anything drastic,
just slightly leaned the mixture. In Vizard's book, he writes about
setting up a Mini to run at 50+ mpg and he took it across America to
make a point. I believe that the Healeys, too, ran an economy program
and came up with similar numbers. Does anyone know what mileage a new
"Mini" gets?

A good friend of mine has a family of 4 (husband, wife, two pre-teen
boys). They are amazingly active, but own two older ('87 and '89)
econobox Hondas. For the three long trips they take per year, they
rent (usually big American iron or SUVs). He tells me that when he
ran the numbers, he comes out way, way ahead financially (initial
cost, fuel and maintenance, insurance, etc.).

I wonder what would happen if more people had 50 mpg Minis,
spridgets, or Moggies as at least their second cars? Would it lower
our dependence on oil (regardless of source)? Would it lower
pollution? Would there be less road rage 'cause everyone would be
grinning so much?

Nah, it'd never work. The technology is just not there...

...now that we've crushed it...

Jeff