Re: Be An American (long)

To: mlupynec@globalserve.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Be An American (long)
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 19:23:36 EST
In a message dated 1/25/02 2:51:26 PM, mlupynec@globalserve.net writes:

<< Annice, I hear you. So here is my short version of keeping the
record straight. >>

Mike,

First this is Bob and I would like to try to clear up some the
misunderstandings that are occurring in this dialog.

Lets take age first.  Annice and I are older than most members of this list
and usually take that into consideration when replying to messages.  This
does not mean that we are particularly wiser or more knowledgeable.  But we
probably do have more life experiences and have lived through times that
many on the list only read about as history.  What is written in history
books, published in newspapers and first hand experiences often are not the
same things.  This leads to the next subject.

Conscientions objector.  This term has been used in different ways depending
on if you are talking pre or post Vietnam.

Pre Vietnam CObs, in military language, were well defined and may still be.
These were people with an ESTABLISHED background in a religion that did not
permit them to take another persons life.  If one believes in our
Constitution then one has to allow this belief.  Also it is not trivial to
get a CO status in the military.  These CObs served in many capacities
including some very hazardous jobs.  If this seems questionable I would
suggest researching records from WWII and Korea.

Post Vietnam.  After Kennedy started escalating the war in Vietnam (yes
Kennedy) the term CO was used heavily by those folks who objected to the
Vietnam war and/or did not want to risk their lives for whatever reason.
  The vast majority of these people WERE NOT in the military and they were
not objecting on a religious premise.  As such the term CO has two different
uses in our language now.  This may be the source of the misunderstanding
that is occurring here.

Lastly the Geneva convention has never been followed by both sides in a war.
BUT it does define what a POW is required to provide, name and military ID,
number, and how they are to be treated.  Like many laws failure to follow the
Geneva convention is the foundation for prosecution.

Hopefully the list can now get back to oil leaks, cats and that strange music
of the 1960bs.

Annice & Bob
1960 Bugeye (Mk. IV in disguise)
1966 Sprite Mk. III (Still in Boxes)