Re: Fw: My 76 Midget

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fw: My 76 Midget
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 10:36:52 EST
In a message dated 2/21/02 8:33:15 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Bushwacker4@prodigy.net writes:

> I had a 76 a while back and I seem to remember that you had to pull up on
> the shifter (or was it push down?) to get it into reverse... At any rate it
> was different than the earlier cars with the ribcase trannies. Have you
> tried that?
>
> Somebody else with a late model will tell you which way to go with the
> shifter I'm sure!

- - - - - - - - - - -

With the Spitfidgets you pull UP and to the right to get into reverse.  I've
never had a problem with mine.  It is not particularly difficult.  With a
little practice and finesse, it becomes a fluid motion.  (I only miss every
once in a while!)

If yours is being difficult, check the linkage first.  With the car up on 4
jack stands, get under there and make sure it is all clean, then try some
white lithium spray on all the pivit points.  Make sure the shifter boot
isn't hanging it up.  I have had that happen.  Remove the boot entirely and
try shifting.  I believe there is a small, inner rubber boot, which may be
the problem.  It's been a while since I ripped out the interior of mine.

Do whatever you can before you pull the engine and tranny for a rebuild!

Keep on shiftin'!

Allen Hefner
"send chuck to sebring" fund coordinator (another Saab story!)
Send donations via PayPal to my e-mail address - ajhsys@aol.com
Checks should be made out to: Charles F. Christ Sr.
Snail mail to me at:
PO Box 286
Abington  PA  19001-0286