Re: Better brakes?

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Better brakes?
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 15:40:07 -0400
I don't know about brakes needing to be hot enough to work well but I don't
disagree with it.

However, I can more easily see lost braking effectiveness with drilled
rotors (unless they're getting hot enough to fade) because there is less
surface area touching the pad.

If the average surface area of a pad is 1-1/2" x 2-1/2" (total guess) that's
a total of 3.75 sq in. If you have only a single 5/16" dia hole in that area
you have reduced the contact area by .0977 sq in, or more than 2%. If you
have 2 holes in that area it's 5%.

Add that to the possible loss from the pads not being warm enough and what
have you got?

that's my 2% of a dollar.

<dnw>

1972 Midget