Re: Axle shafts.

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Axle shafts.
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 09:02:36 EST
In a message dated 11/21/02 8:07:18 AM Eastern Standard Time,
ckotting@core.com writes:

> Wait a holdit.  By twisting the axle in the opposite direction, aren't
> you guaranteeing it'll weaken?

In fairness to Chuck, let me clairfy one thing. He suggested replacing the
shafts with the later hardened ones. But back in the days of  just soft
shafts, this is what was done.
I am in the process of replacing my Bugeye shafts, with used hardened ones.
So the splines may be worn in but not with the diff in the car. So while I am
going to try to identify which side of the car each shaft came from (per Paul
A's advice) and put them back that way. But I am just not so sure how
important this really is.

David Oliner