Re: Axle shafts.

To: "Robert E. Shlafer" <PilotRob@webtv.net>, "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Subject: Re: Axle shafts.
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 16:15:52 -0500
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
the entire shaft is hardened.
the old trick i told dave was that when axles were stil a common comodity we
raced with a set untill they started to show the obvious twist.  then
swapped sides!  once they twisted back we disposed of them.  this was
traditionally a race weekend or two untill they were scrap.   we never
twisted them enough to get them stuck or shear.  of course the rears were
torn apart between evry race because we were changing final drive ratio's
and doing component inspections.  that was part of a serious attempt to win
the SCCA national championship wich finally came  in 1979 in G-production at
road atlanta at the runoffs.
most axles i see that are "distressed" are so darn twisted they are instant
junk.  and due to age and stress.....i'd say side specific orientation would
be a good idea for any spirited driven car.  on the other hand, if you are a
conservative driver of a restored car that see's very little driving(let
alone abuse) i see no reason to assemble a rear axle with what ever is
available (in good shape) as far as axle shafts are concerned.
my bugeye has a set of breakproof axles in it.   i'll shear a U-joint or the
pinion before the carrier or axles break in my car.

chuck
28 years of sweet harmony with the same bugeye...   :)  ...c.
(i really do love that darn car! )