RE: The Gun debate no LBC (long)

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: The Gun debate no LBC (long)
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 20:42:41 -0800
Brad and list.
I count you as friends, whether we've met or not.  Since we're all entitled
to our opinions, and we all have delete keys, I hereby will air mine.    As
for the off topic subjects and their place on this list, the only thing I
take exception to is when a poster assumes that "we all" share the same
opinion on heated topics.  Guns, Religion, Abortion, Politics and the like
are hot button topics.  If you post on one of these subjects, EXPECT to
offend 50% of the people who read it, as both sides of these topics are
never going to agree. Having a point of view different than mine doesn't
preclude a friendship, no more than sharing a similar point of view
guarantees it.  My opinion on guns:

1.  Guns are designed to kill. It's that simple.
2.  There is no such thing as a sporting gun.  What kind of sport results in
death?
3.  Target practice isn't a sport either.  It is killing practice.  That's
why many targets are the silhouette of a human.  Like practicing your aim?
Take up darts.
4.  Hunting isn't a sport.  In a true sport there is an equal chance that
either side can win or loose, and awake tomorrow to play again.  Since the
animal always looses, I doubt he would find the act of being hunted
"sporting".   Hunting for food also is not a reason to own a gun.  Last time
I was at the grocery store, there was no shortage of meat.  If it were a
good reason to own a gun, we should issue one gun to each homeless person so
they could feed themselves.  Hunting doesn't get you closer to nature, it
kills a part of it.  If you want to get closer to nature, take the scope,
and leave the rifle at home.  Get up close and yell "BANG"  and watch Bambi
run away.  If you had a gun, you probably would have missed anyway.  Same
end result.  If you miss walking away from the hunt with something to show
for it, take a camera, and hang an 8x10 on the wall instead of a set of
horns.  Hunting as population management is flawed.  Animals can be trapped,
and euthanized humanely.
5.  Guns are useless as self defense.  If the criminal has one the only
thing you can accomplish is a stalemate.  Usually the stalemate results in
your death.
6.  The slippery slope argument between the outlaw of spidgets, corvairs,
and guns is flawed.  The only persons killed in a spridget crash due to the
design of the car is the driver and willing passenger "if" an accident
occurs.  Most the time, guns kill the other guy.  I do oppose helmet laws on
motorcycle riders because I do see a similarity between a motorcycle rider
being forced against his will to wear a helmet, and the eventuality of a
spridget driver being forced to wear a helmet.
7.  You are probably right that the outlaw of guns won't reduce crime, it
will only reduce the number of 15 year olds mowing down their classmates,
curious children blowing their brains out and stuff like that.
8.  I actually support everyone's right to own and collect guns.  I simply
believe that  ammunition and reloading equipment should be outlawed.
David Riker
63 Falcon
70 Torino
74 Midget