1500 BIG valve lash pt. 2

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: 1500 BIG valve lash pt. 2
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 08:37:18 -0500
Crash wrote:

>My question is if #1 cylinder is to
>the right in the photo, #3 valve (intake for #2 cylinder) is >down, and
>the firing order is 1,3,4,2 you are at TDC compression stroke >for
>cylinder #4 not #1, but then again I'm a 948 guy.

It's entirely possible I have the cam 180* out. But the punch marks line up per
the  Bentley Manual. Perhaps with the regrind the cam was done 180* out.

The tappets are new (from Spitbits), the pushrods are old. I didn't check them
for length, but nothing looked wacky when I took it off. The engine ran pretty
smoothly before I took it apart, and most of the other components looked very
good (no ridge in the cylinders, etc.).

Come to think of it, Ted did mention something about having the head shaved
.050". That gap just looks like way more than .050"! I didn't have the head
shaved, but perhaps I should.

Getting the block decked would not be a good option as this is the 1500 with
the recessed bores. Getting longer pushrods would be an option though.

I'm located in NW New Jersey. Anyone have a good reccommendation for a machine
shop along the I-78 corridor between Clinton and Newark?

Thanks for the responses.

-=Chris

Chris King   - cbking@alum.rpi.edu
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kvcbk/