Re: oiled starter

To: trishasauthoff@yahoo.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: oiled starter
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 14:44:52 EST
In a message dated 3/25/03 2:00:19 PM Eastern Standard Time,
trishasauthoff@yahoo.com writes:

> As for the graphite oil, since I see now that I shouldn't have used it,
> (only did so on the advice of another- I know not an excuse for not reading
> the book) I now need to know how to reverse it.  It'll probably mean taking
> the starter apart, but that's okay.  It'll be a good way to learn from a
> mistake.  Once the starter is apart can I wash the parts I oiled?  With
> what.  I'm thinking paraffin maybe?

I wouldn't worry about doing all that.  If you had used oil, like 3 in 1 or
motor oil, it would probably be a bad thing.  Graphite doesn't tend to get
oily and sticky and probably won't cause a problem.

Allen Hefner
Phila. Region SCCA Rally Steward
'77 MG Midget  (#51 FSP)
'75 MG Midget (The Project)