Re: 356 Handling NOW old vs. new sports cars

To: shaf@zenten.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 356 Handling NOW old vs. new sports cars
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 00:58:17 EDT
In a message dated 4/7/03 11:50:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time, shaf@zenten.com
writes:

> Hey, we are comparing apples, caviar and aspagras here!
> Spridgets, fun, simple, cheap, non-practical sports cars in the sense
> that they are used for sport, not commuting etc.etc.etc.
>  M-roadsters, fun, sophisticated, expensive, driving machines, like
> having a Oolala French mistress. Hell, I want a mere Z-3 so bad I can
> taste it, too bad I can't afford one.(ditto with ANY mistress)
>  H-words, Yuk!  Putoooee!  (OK I'll say Honda) Soul-less, automatons,
> that perform their functions on spec, humorously. Gawd, I hate 'em.
> They are corrupting our youth.  Like meth.  They are evil. They must be
> destroyed. Especially all the ones running in SCCA ITC.

Despite my suspicion that your hatred for Hondas is somehow based on the
spankings you receive from them at the track, I agree completely.  I made the
mistake of buying a Prelude Si once -- only kept it a year.  At that time, it
was the fastest, best handling least fun-to-drive car I'd ever owned.
Bulletproof reliable and all that, but it was soulless -- it had no interest
in letting me get to know it.  They had refined all the personality out of
it.  Just very disappointing.  Sold it in favor of a GTI VR6, which was a
great car, if a little soft for sporting purposes.

Anyway, I also had the fever for a Z3.  Bad.  Drove a bunch of them then
found an M at a remarkably reasonable price.  Went to NC, bought it and drove
it home.  By the time I got home, I had been up for almost 48 straight hours,
but I still sat in the garage for a half hour and stared at it when I got
home.  Just couldn't help it.  In fact, I think maybe I'll go out right now
and stare at it some more...

Chris Eck
99 M Roadster (beautiful in blue)
59 Bugeye (days may be numbered)