Re: MG Midget Buying Advice

To: "Steve Kirks" <srk@mac.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MG Midget Buying Advice
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 07:04:14 -0700
Steve-
The earlier cars are fun, and can be modified, and are closer to the "pure"
original intent of design.  I have a 74, the last year of the early cars.
People talk about the weight difference, but unless you are racing, the
difference is like letting your spouse ride along.  The added weight is only
like a total of 150 lbs.  For that weight, you get a stiffer chassis, less
NVH, smoother ride with less jarring and bumping over rough surfaces.  You
also get a larger gas tank for a longer cruising range.  The transmission is
fully synchronized, and a dream to shift compared to the agricultural lump
of steel in the early cars.  And as for the ride height, again, marginal
change in cornering in return for not dragging the tail pipe over every
driveway entrance and speed bump in town.  On to the engine, the 1500 unit
has a long stroke, so it will never be capable of the high revs of the
A-series engined cars.  But again, look to the plus side, the long stroke
makes incredible torque compared to the A-series.  It is faster off of the
line, and in real world driving feels like a more powerful engine until
about 3500 RPM.  My 1275 is a blast at 4500-5000 RPM, and racers build them
to turn above 7500 RPM, but that is of no benefit in daily driving.  Finally
(at least for this email), There are more newer cars out there to pick from.
78-79 is probably the best of the lot, with a taller final drive ratio, and
newer = less likely to have rust.  If I was starting all over again, it
would be with a 79.

David Riker
63 Falcon
70 Torino