Re: MG Midget Buying Advice

To: Jon Paschke <Jpaschke@bak.rr.com>
Subject: Re: MG Midget Buying Advice
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 12:41:13 -0400
Cc: midget <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Jon Paschke wrote:

>Why do some people have to parrot this without more research. Every Triumph
>motor based on this block all the way through the last TR6 six cylinder used
>this thrust washer design. You don't hear those guys crying about pinning
>them. Maybe you should tell them about this.

Jon,

I don't (currently) own any of the later Spridgets, but I've rebuilt (or
helped rebuild) three 1500 engines.  All of them needed either new
crankshafts or major machine shop work due to the "thrust washer
problem".   I've seen what happens in there and it ain't pretty.  Larry
Macy's "fast road engine" ran great - until the thrust washers dropped.

Right Larry???  ;(

Sal's Spitfire engine went to the machine shop for a rebuild and the
shop owner wouldn't let it out the door without pinning the thrust
washers, (the shop owner also has a Spitfire).

That's five engines that I know of personally, (six counting Frank's
first and only Spitfire, but I won't go there.....)

 From my expierence, this problem seems not only to exist, but is also
commonplace.  Maybe we would be doing the Triumph guys a favor by
letting them know.

Kevin V.