Re: brake problems

To: shelden3@pldi.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: brake problems
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 09:42:02 EDT
In a message dated 6/24/03 7:19:49 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
shelden3@pldi.net writes:

> I've been doing some work under the hood of my '69 Midget.  Painting etc
> etc....We were bleeding the brakes last night, and was able to get the front
> ones bled just fine.  Moved to the rear, pumped the pedal (which was hard
> already) and opened the valve and nothing, no air, fluid or anything.  What
> are your thoughts on a cause?  Faulty prop. valve?  I haven't removed the
> line
> from the valve yet to see if anything comes out or not.  Are these valves
> repairable?  I see that they are about 400.00 on Moss (ouch).  If mine is
> bad
> does anyone have a spare?  Does anyone have any other ideas to look at?

- - - - - - - - - - - -

I doubt that is the problem.  There are other things to check first.
Starting at a rear wheel cylinder, remove the brake line and push the pedal.
If
fluid flows, the cylinder is bad.  If no fluid, move forward along the line to
the
splitting block, and remove the line going in from the flex hose.  If fluid
flows, the problem is in the block or the line from the block to the wheel.  If
no fluid, remove the line going into the flex hose.  If fluid flows, the flex
hose is bad, (That would be my guess.) if no fluid, move forward again to the
next connection.

Play Shelock Holmes and track down the problem by eliminating things
systematically.  After you eliminate everything else, the last thing that is
left, no
matter how improbable, has to be the problem.

That process works with electrical problems as well.  Just make sure you don'
t let all the smoke out.  :-)

Allen Hefner
Phila. Region SCCA Rally Steward
'77 MG Midget  (#51 FSP)