Re: Bugeye Conversion Question

To: Miniac7@aol.com
Subject: Re: Bugeye Conversion Question
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 19:21:20 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Well...

The 1275 with the improved ratios and
strength of it's later ribcase gearbox hooked with the higher 3.9 diff.
ratio will
certainly make a tiger out of your BE
relative to the original set-up for sure.
It will transform the car as a driver, the
only thing being lost will be a little fuel
economy...a fair trade for the increase
in performance.

Assuming your BE uses the "H" motor,
no change in octane requirements. If you
have the "L" 948 you'll be going to unleaded premium for the 8.8-1 CR of
the
'74 1275, unless it was delivered over here with an "L" or 8.0-1 motor.

While there is a provision for a mechanical fuel pump in the later
thick-
flanged (stronger) blocks the '74's came
with, the cars themselves came with electric fuel pumps. I don't know of
anyone who has converted "back" to a
mechanical pump on a 1275.

So while the stock BE gen. may be retained in place of the 1275's
alternator,
(assuming you want to keep the gen.
driven original BE tachometer), just bear
in mind it will be using a little more of it's
capacity in the event of the electric pump.
You'll probably use the 948's gen. bracket
to fit the gen onto the 1275, I would imagine.

Assuming the engine, clutch and gearbox
are good....take one, and put one in....as
an entire unit.

The disc swap may or may not be as
straight forward. I had this done by pros
when acquiring my BE using new parts.
So this part of it I will leave to those who
have done it and/or know more than I in
this respect. I wouldn't use used parts
anyway in a front end rebuild, conversion
or not. IMHO, this would be false economy unless the front end had just
be done and the car rear ended and
"totaled" accordingly. In such a case you
know the front end parts are new...this
is "different", of course.

The disc set-up does have a wider track
then the drum set-up. However, you can
order 1/" spacers (JCWhitney) for the rear
to increase the track a bit back there. I
wouldn't go any more than this without
utilizing the longer studs....don't want
those wheels suddenly departing the
area!

As for the value of the tub once you strip
out the driveline.....RWA (round rear wheel arch) Spridgets are, in the
opinion
of many, more highly valued than their
"square arched" counterparts though there is room for argument here!! :)

Depends on how rusty things are usually.
You put it on ebay and hopefully, your
timing will be good! :)

Cap'n. Bob
     '60 :{)