Spridget links

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Spridget links
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 12:26:39 -0400 FILETIME=[B27A7500:01C34EDB]
I had the Sprite delivered yesterday, I'm psyched!  Got a few questions, can
y'all point me in the right directions?  PO has lots of manuals, books
(Vizard, Bentley, etc.) but they're in S.C. and I'm in GA, it'll be a few
weeks before I get them.  I'd like to get started on this beast before then.

1.  Detailed guide to getting one of these things running?  Step by step,
from getting the old gas out of the tank to getting it to fire, etc.

2.  VIN identification?  He says it's a '64, but from what I've seen
googling, it's a '65.  VIN is HAN8L 50848.    It is a 1098.  Can y'all help
me ID it, or point me in the direction?

3.  It has an ill-fitting chrome strip down the hood - factory, dealer
add-on?  I don't recall seeing it on other sprites or midgets I've seen.  It
has no sprite symbol on the bonnet.

4.  SU Carb setup procedures.  They're in a box, not on the car.  I'd like
to put them on and fire this bad boy up!

5.  What are the defacto websites for resto help and pics?  I see that
pdljmpr is offline.  Any that detail the cars year by year, w/ engine, paint
codes, changes, etc.

6.  It's on wires, which I love, having never had true knockoff's w/ my
TR's.  However, I want to drive this car, autox, austin healey club, go
touring, etc.  So I'm considering retrofitting the hubs for steel wheels, or
possibly minilite-type wheels - I love that look.

This thing is BRG, but apparently parts were once blue and a pale yellow.  I
like the BRG (it's not a true BRG, but close), but the yellow intrigues me.
Sorta like the Pale Primrose midget that Classic Motorsports is restoring.
It's condition appears to be similar too...  ;-)

There's not a lot of rust (front drivers quarter is rusty, haven't seen
anything else yet.  Since it's not running, I'm toying with taking it apart
and doing it right.  If I do that, I'll consider changing the color to an
accurate color that was available in it's year .

I'm a driver by heart, not a historian, show car guy, or perfectionist.  I
like to drive 'em, not polish 'em!  I'm dying to drive this beast!

I'll post a link w/ some pictures when I get some time to take some.

Thanks y'all.  This is going to be a lot of fun!

Chip - ex-2 time Triumph Spitfire/Land Rover guy who's seen the light

Chip Mautz

'88 BMW 528e
'64 Austin Healey Sprite ('65?)
'02 Toyota 4Runner

I don't know.  I'm making this up as I go - Indiana Jones