Re: Spridget links

To: gerard <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>
Subject: Re: Spridget links
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 22:13:31 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
gerard wrote:

> Unless you are Frank, that means you won't be driving it or a few
> years... consider that choice carefully.

Hey, I read that! What's a little rust, a 2 hour repair?
Metal is cheap.

Yeaterday's Oshit meeting saw Kevin, Larry (the real Larry) and myself
get a 66 Midget fully rebraked, new clutch hydraulics, complete cooling
system, fired up, wired up, bugeye bonneted, and then we had to fix a
really gone release bearing so at 7 pm, we pulled the engine, replaced
the release bearing, checked the clutch, stuck the engine back in, and
DROVE this car after dinner at around 8:30.
Yes, engine out repairs to clutch and engine back in and running in
about an hour. And Larry is a 1500 guy, he was learning :)

So Chip, stick the carbs on it, fill the float bowls with freash gas,
keep the fuel line from the tank to the carbs off and unplug the fuel
pump. (so you don't pump any mung from the tank into the carbs) fire it
up. Drop the tank, (6 nuts and the filler hose clamp) if it's not gooped
up too bad, stick some large nuts and bolts in it along with some paint
thinner, shake it up, drain it, use a magnet to remove any nuts and
bolts that don't come out, (beats using stones) or if it's really gooped
up, fill it with water, stick it on the outside barby and simmer it for
an hour or so, then shake it with bolts. It will come clean, you just
boiled your tank.
If the fuel pump doesn'r work, smack it with a hammer, if it still
doesn't work, hit it harder. This worked for us yesterday. Hey if it
still doesn't work, you needed a new one ;) Ours started ticking and
pumping just fine, it took a couple a hard hits with a hammer but 9 out
of ten will start to work this way.

Good luck.

--
Frank Clarici