weird electrical

To: "Spridgets (E-mail)" <spridgets@autox.team.net> FILETIME=[7A44C520:01C352A3] 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h6PBtkdL004533
Subject: weird electrical
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 05:54:17 -0600
Maybe someone can help me with a weird electrical problem. I parked my 62
Sprite last Sunday and all was apparently fine. I went to start it last night
and here is what happened: After turning the key, the fuel gauge came up,
ignition light on dash came on, etc. When I pulled the starter there was no
sound, not even a click or grind. I recently replaced the solenoid, so I
thought the cable may have slipped, but it was fine. I tried shorting across
the solenoid, but there was nothing. The same at the starter. I cleaned the
negative terminal on the battery, and the ignition wire going to the solenoid.
Still nothing. A voltmeter showed 12 volts at the battery and the solenoid. A
weird thing is I brushed up against the coil, and it was real hot?!? I gave up
and pulled the hot side cable off the battery and told myself, "self, the list
will know just exactly what to do!" Any advice?

Thanks,

Joe Lansing
62 Sprite Mk II