Re: Hello and Bugeye value question

To: "William West" <livinginthepast3@hotmail.com>, <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Subject: Re: Hello and Bugeye value question
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 13:08:11 -0400
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
my gut instinct is to offer 4500.00 and walk away!  let him think a while on
it!  then if it is still available....negotiate for a reasonable "inbetween"
figure.   also!  the hard top!  if it is a healey hard top?  rather
desireable "if" the glass is intact and the glass rubber is good.  the rest
of the rubber is obtainable !   if the hard top is an aftermarket one?
still kinda neat but nowhere near the value of an original one.   if memory
serves me right hard tops are selling new from some aftermarket spridget
dealers around 700-800 dollars?   and frank is right.   the car will start
and run without a voltage regulator.   also?  you mentioned the motor was
sleved?  is that specifically stated on the bill or is it bored out?   if it
was sleved , i'd want to know specifically "WHY"?   that could indicate a
possible weak engine leading to future problems in my estimation.  (a good
sleve job is perfectly alright!  but the reasons for sleving are varied such
as wrist pin taking out a cylinder wall, customer insisting upon exact
specific standard bore motor or worst fear...trying to repair a cracked
block!)  a bunch of new or very very nice used parts to assemble the car is
nice and easy to install on a bugeye.  but a good shell (the body) is a
prime factor.   also, you might want to investigate the car's serial numbers
to see if it is or was a stolen of fabricated car from all sorts of bits and
pieces.   i'm not a wizzard at the chassis and door tag numbers but i know
they should be rather close proximity to each other.   (not matching like
muscle cars!)  a real car with real proper number plates is not 100% needed
but a nice "plus".
those are just my thoughts on your specific car.  not trying to deter you
from buying it but rather you beware of some of the "suprises"  .

chuck
59 bugeye