Re: What makes a good snow car?

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: What makes a good snow car?
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 00:50:10 -0500 FILETIME=[4D3B0C00:01C3C2CF]
I agree Kate,

It's the driver not the vehicle!! Don't bash ALL SUV drivers!!  I average
pulling 2 people out of snow banks a year with my Expedition! Did 2 already
this year! last weekends 15 inches of snow here on Long Island caught alot
of people off guard. Snows all gone now.

I grew up  in Upstate NY,  land of much snow. Come driving age, when the
first snow of the year came around we went to the school parking lot to
practice spins, sliding and car control. ya gotta find out what the car will
behave like!!
I think the biggest factor is TIRES. We always had put serious snow tires on
our cars. Ones with at least 3/4 inch deep grooves.
Never had a problem gettng around, If it gets too deep stay home or use the
Snowmobile! Even when I had my Mustang GT, I only got it stuck once, too
much speed, too much beer, got caught up in a slush berm adjacent to the
road and it just sucked me into a field. Nothing hurt but my pride. My Dad's
4x4 ranger pulled me out.
Couple of years later I got a Fiesta winter beater, 4 good, 12 inch skinny
snow tires, great in the snow, once I learned how to drive a FWD car in the
snow. Step on the gas to pull you across the snow berms between lanes!
  My 87 Bronco II, 5 spd +4wd was pretty good in the snow too, even with all
season BFG's HR4's.
My Expedition was not good in the snow when I got it. It had Cooper
Discovery tires on it. I Discovered that those tires SUCKED! in the rain as
well as the snow.  I've got BFG Long trail T/A's on it now and it is
FANTASTIC!! I look for excuses to go play in the snow.  My bro inlaws F150
5 spd 4x4 has "off road" Dunlops on it and it is much worse than my
Expedition.

Ya have to learn the dynamics of the vehicle, have GOOD tires! FWD or 4wd
don't help at all w/o good treads, and a couple of good brain cells!!

my .02

Brian S.
Bugeye under resto

>As far as SUVs, it seems to me that their "clumsiness" is not the fault of
>the vehicle, but that of the person at the wheel who does not have the
>necessary skill to drive on dry pavement, let alone snow & ice.
>Unfortunately, the DMV is not yet required to give IQ tests prior to
>issuing
>a drivers' license.
>
>Kate
>8" on the ground, and more expected tonight. I'm dreaming of my first white
>Christmas since I left NY in 1980.

Wonder if the latest virus has gotten to your computer? Find out. Run the
FREE McAfee online computer scan!