Re: Speaking of Sprite engines...

To: Kurtis <kurtisj@cox-internet.com>
Subject: Re: Speaking of Sprite engines...
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 00:23:45 -0500
Cc: Spridget List <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Rebuilt the 1275 in my '71 Midget last year. Main lesson I learned from
it was NEVER assume any part is perfect - check everything. I had this
persistent extreme overheating problem. Couldn't run for more than a few
minutes before it would get REALLY hot. I had the radiator checked out
and installed a new hi-flow water pump during the ruebuild. Tried all
the other usual suspects - thermostat, timing. Finally decided there HAD
to be something wrong with the pump. Pulled it and discovered that the
casting was bad - the water inlet was completely blocked! So examine all
your parts carefully before installing them. Just because something is
new doesn't mean it's good!

But they're great little engines and not too hard to work on. Best of luck!

Eddie
1971 Midget - "Bebop"