Re: Tranny Shroud

To: Jim Rogers <jarplanner@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Tranny Shroud
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 23:07:37 -0500
Cc: Spridget List <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>, "bugeye@yahoogroups.com" <bugeye@yahoogroups.com>
Jim Rogers wrote:

> I've noticed quite a bit of engine heated air coming thru the tranny
> tunnel in my bugeye. I've placed some insulation under carpet, but am
> considering about a different solution and would appreciate any insights
> or suggestions.

My big Healey has a fiberglass tunnel and it got so hot you could fry
eggs. Even when it's 50* out and the top is down. If it was metal, you
would get second degree burns on your leg.
I used an aluminum foil bubble wrap insulation for heating ducts.
(Lowes has it) But on my tunnel I stapled it to the inside.
It reflects and insulates very well. so far it seems to have done the
trick. No more hot air out of the cup holder or shifter boot.
The top is up now and last night my wife asked if the heat worked.

On the Sprite, you might be able to glue or wire the stuff inside the
tunnel or naybe use it as an under the carpet padding on top of the
tunnel. On my Sprites, I usually just stuff some fiberglass insulation
around the shifter hole since the rest of the tunnel is enclosed.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ