Re: Rear hubs leaking

To: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rear hubs leaking
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 09:07:09 -0600
Would this be an appropriate place to try one of the "high fill" anerobic
adhesives, like a Loctite or Permatex "Shaft and Bearing Mount"?  (claims to
make press fits into interference fits).
JohnD

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 06:25:53 -0600
From dmeadow at juno.com
Subject: Re: Whyisit - Rear hubs leaking

Mike,

Loose bearings could very well be your problem.  It means that the hub is
going to wobble, which can create a leak, not to mention a broken axle.
I'm assuming that your Lotus has the same single-bearing hub setup that a
Spridget does.

Another possibility is that your bearings are standing proud of the hub.
I've found that some bearings are a bit too wide (or the hub is a bit
shallow).  This will prevent your axle flange from providing a good seal.
 Sometimes using two gaskets will help here, but I've also known people
who have had the hub turned in a lathe to deepen the bearing seating
area.

I wouldn't bother machining your hubs.  If they are so loose then you
should either get new hubs or find a way to increase the interference.
I've tried peening the inside of old hubs with a sharp punch to tighten
up the fit.  It doesn't work.  Eventually the bearings will loosen
themselves up again and start spinning in the hub.

David Littlefield