Re: Rear hubs leaking

To: spridgets@autox.team.net j2MGksB4009013
Subject: Re: Rear hubs leaking
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 10:46:28 -0600
Deikis, John writes:

> Would this be an appropriate place to try one of the "high fill" anerobic
> adhesives, like a Loctite or Permatex "Shaft and Bearing Mount"?  (claims
> make press fits into interference fits).
> JohnD

I had loose bearings in the hub of my race Bugeye. The hub ID bearing mating
surface was very worn. In desparation I finally tried some high quality
aluminum shim stock (obtained from a Budweiser beer can), and one of the
Loctites (I forget which right now, and I'm at work so I can't go look). I
put the strip of shim stock into the hub. Then, with some patience, I press
fit the bearings into the hub, with the shim stock and adhesive in between
the bearing OD and the hub ID. It's been working great.

Bud