RE: Bolt and thread question...

To: "Frank Clarici" <spritenut@comcast.net>
Subject: RE: Bolt and thread question...
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 20:44:10 -0500
Cc: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>, "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Frank,
20 seconds, and it's up on the bench....20 minutes, and I MIGHT be able to
stand up straight, again.  10 minutes to bolt it to a stand?  OK.  No
problem.  This is a HOBBY, right?
A few years back, while surveying a barge load of 40,000# steel coils
(they're about 5' in diameter), I went to jump/lever/pull myself up onto the
top of a row( 30-some rows in a barge), when I got a very sharp, intense
pain in both shoulders.  For the rest of that summer, I could not lift
either arm straight to shoulder height.  This was not the first time I'd
boogered something up, while trying to act like I was still 20-something.  I
was finally forced to accept my own mortality.  And, being self-employed, I
don't have the luxury of taking time off from work, pain or no pain.  Now,
when I have some serious lifting to do, in the garage, I just tell my
college football player son, as I point to the heavy object, "that's what
God made kids for, kid".  However, when he's away at college, and there is
some heavy lifting to do, I've learned to be content with "whimping out",
and using stuff like floor jacks, engine cranes, and engine stands.  It is a
little embarrassing at first (the garage cats are usually watching, you
know), but I feel so much better being able to painlessly lift that mug of
cold beer, at the end of the day ;)
So, when it comes to wrestling A series engines, I plead guilty to being a
whimp, as I smile and painlessly reach for another beer.
Better take care of yourself, Frank.  You aren't getting any younger,
either;)
Bud Osbourne